Monday, May 3, 2010

A fitly read hymn...



I came across this hymn today, at a time I really needed to read about the beauty of the Cross.  God is gracious and I am thankful to Him for allowing this hymn to cross my path.  He uses any means he chooses to get our focus back to Him.  He most certainly uses trials to reveal sin in our heart, and I have been granted this vision of my own sin in trials that I have faced in the recent past,  I have regarded the Cross too little.  I am thankful that He would love me enough to steady my course and line my eyes back to my "true North."- Him.  I am also reminded that I ought to meditate on the Cross more often.  I need to keep my eyes upon Him, the One who is able to save to the uttermost.  I need'nt get all jumbled up in the world, man-centered concerns, self-centered concerns and mope.  I need to look to Christ and His Cross, and marvel at His beauty.  It is no small thing that the King of Glory would come to earth to save wretches like me.  I have had to repent for taking that fact too lightly.  I pray through this hymn and by His Spirit, you would be caused to consider Christ today.



In the Cross of Christ I Glory
By: John Bowring

 In the cross of Christ I glory,

Towering o’er the wrecks of time;

All the light of sacred story

Gathers round its head sublime.


When the woes of life o’er take me,

Hopes deceive, and fears annoy,

Never shall the cross forsake me,

Lo! It glows with peace and joy.


When the sun of bliss is beaming

Light and love upon my way,

From the cross the radiance streaming

Adds more luster to the day.


 Bane and blessing, pain and pleasure,

By the cross are sanctified;

Peace is there that knows no measure,

Joys that through all time abide.



1 comment:

robert said...

Thanks for the post, and for the quotation of John Bowrings hymn, "In the Cross of Christ I Glory."

There is a kind of paradox regarding the cross. You call it a thing of beauty. Well, it is...and it isn't. Calvary was a place of ugly brutality and horrific suffering. Yet, there is an attractiveness and appeal to the cross because of the love of our wonderful Saviour who was crucified there to save us.

If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns. Today, there's an interesting story about the tune for the hymn you have quoted.