Thursday, May 6, 2010

The Ninth Commandment... According to Dylan

I am pretty sure that my dad is going to kill me for putting this out here on the Internet, so if you don't hear from me in a few days, come looking for me!  Seriously, though, my Dad exemplifies the qualities of a godly man as communicated in Psalm 1, but, as fallen man is, he is not perfect.  He does not make a practice of sinning and strives each day to walk in the Spirit and put to death the deeds of the flesh. With that said, this is a funny story that just goes to show you, your kids are listening, even when you think they are not. Each moment of each day is a teaching opportunity and is a gift from God of which we should take full advantage. Especially if we are to raise them up in the fear and admonition of the Lord.  This was also a very good opportunity to point Dylan to Christ, not to man. Daddy, Mommy, Nana, Papa, every person- even our pastor is a sinner in need of a Savior.  Let us always point our children to the only perfect One.

Several months ago, after Dylan had memorized all of the Ten Commandments, we began to go through the commandments and give further explanation of what it meant to break each one.  We tried really hard to give an example that Dylan could understand, and I think it went really well. Heeey, you try giving an example of the 7th commandment that your 4 year old can understand!

Anyway,  after over a week of this, it's needless to say that Dylan had the Law on the brain- complete with examples of breaking them!  She was spending time with my mom one day, when out of the blue she exclaimed, "Nana, let me give you an example of lying..."

First, you must know that one of Dylan's favorite things to eat is bean burritos, and not just any bean burritos, Taco Casa bean burritos.  There isn't a close Taco Casa to my parents home, so over a year ago, (yes, that long ago!) Dad went to get Dylan a burrito, but thought, "Hey, I will just get one from Taco Bell (ewww!) and say it's from Taco Casa... she'll never know the difference."  First off, Dylan noticed the different packaging, and pondered, "Hmmm, I guess they got new paper."  Then, she noticed the taste, and that was all it took, Dad was found out! 

Back to our story... Dylan said, "Nana, let me give you an example of lying.  One time Papa got me a bean burrito from Taco Bell and said it was from Taco Casa, he was lying!"

Well, Dad has since repented and it just goes to show you, God will use anybody as a source of conviction!

Love you Daddy!

No comments: