Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sin vs. My Garden





And to Adam he said, "Because you have listened to the voice of your wife and have eaten of the tree of which I commanded you, 'You shall not eat of it,' cursed is the ground because of you; in pain you shall eat of it all the days of your life;"thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you; and you shall eat the plants of the field.By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for you are dust, and to dust you shall return."  
Genesis 3:17-19


If you go through life day by day and ever doubt that the Bible is truth and it is the living, breathing Word of God, you should plant a garden.  I love to garden, therefore I enjoy fresh vegetables and fresh salsa and I hate weeds and bugs.  Not 3 days ago I had some broccoli growing beautifully in the midst of my garden and yesterday I had the remnants of broccoli plants that were teaming with these nasty green worms who looked rather satisfied and plump.  I, did however, enjoy practicing my dominion over those rude little pests as I flicked them to oblivion!


A garden has been a friendly reminder that sin is real, its effects are real, and not only on my vegetable garden, but in the garden of my own heart; sin's weeds fight everyday to choke out the lushness that God has planted within me.  May I always be diligent to keep that garden pruned and be on guard of parasites desiring to wage war against my soul. 


Beloved, I urge you as sojourners and exiles to abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul.
1 Peter 2:11

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mendi - I love your new look here. Very nice. I like the article, too. I wrote something on my blog a while back about the garden of our hearts, too. My grandpa used to have a garden out here and grew some fruit and vegetables in it. It had to be tended. Regularly. It required a lot of work. But it produced things that were worth nourishing and worth sharing. Now there isn't anything out there you'd want to eat. Lots of weed and thorn bushes. That stuff grows easily and naturally. I like that you pointed out the bugs and worms, too. Those parasites can creep in even when we're working hard to produce something worthwhile and completely wreak havoc on a harvest that seemed so promising. Great illustration.

Blessings,
Paul