Monday, October 27, 2008

Being washed by the Word...


"Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish." Ephesians 5:25-27


I just had to devote an entry in this blog to my husband. I am so thankful to God for providing me with this man that takes seriously his high calling by God. When I see Jim's love for service and devotion to the Lord, it stirs my heart to love and serve my Lord more. I know I would not be where I am today apart from God's sovereign hand bringing Jim and I together. He desires righteousness and seeks humility, two things a man would never seek apart from the Spirit's miraculous work in resurrecting dead flesh.

He seeks to wash his wife with the water of the Word. I can glory in the fact that the Word of God is spoken in our home. I am thankful to the Lord for Jim's willingness to teach both myself and Dylan the precepts of God. Prayers are uttered in our home, always together as a family, and I know countless ones are petitioned for us by our leader before we even arise from slumber. For that, I am thankful.

Jim serves me when I don't ever deserve to be served. He loves me when I am unlovable and he makes me want to be a better Christian, a better wife, and a better mother, by never even speaking a word. But, when he needs to firmly, but lovingly reprove me, he does, and for that I am thankful.

He is a man of integrity; a man of his word. Psalm 1 comes to mind as I make this point.
"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day an night" Psalm 1:1-2

I have seen Jim grow so much over the years of our marriage that I could not now or ever deny the power of God. He seeks to be true and good because he loves Jesus and would never want to defame his name by bearing it. I pray that if God grants us sons, this is what they will learn from him. ("A good name is to be chosen rather than great riches..." Proverbs 22:1) He is a man of action, if you want something to get done, all you have to do is set Jim loose on it! I so value his work ethic and his servant's heart. I pray that my sanctification would continue in this area, I would desire for Proverbs 31:12 & 23 to be true of me towards my husband:
"She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life...Her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land." Proverbs 31:12 * 23


Jim didn't like people so much before God redeemed him. Not at all, really. But, God saved him and now he is a deacon, which is a completely different role than he would have ever wanted to be in prior to conversion! Serving people? Jim loves his Lord's bride and seeks to honor her, protect her and build her up. His heart's desire is to serve the body of Christ. Now, I can tell you Jim was born to be a deacon. I am thankful that he takes his role in the church seriously and that he loves to do what he does.

I know wholeheartedly that God supplies our every need, and I see how true it is in the husband He ordained me to be with before the foundation of the world. I also know that by Jim teaching Dylan by Scripture and by his life what a godly man is like and by God's hand moving in her life, if it be His will, she will seek to honor her Lord by marrying a man with the same qualities as her father.

Gracious Lord, may you continue to sanctify my husband and all the men of your church to be examples of who real men are, what they do and whom they serve. May the men of the church of this age rise up and lead their wives and families and wash them with the water of the Word. And may we as women, humbly submit to the authority of our husbands, and be more precious than jewels to them, and may our submission and obedience cause our men to be known at the gates. Amen.

1 comment:

Tyler Looper said...

That is an excellent testimony. Sounds like the man I want to be for my wife and daughter. Mendi, you guys bless my heart. I wish that it would be possible for Lacey, Abbi, and me to spend some time with ya'll. Thank you for sharing that about Jim, it really encourages my spirit to hear there are others who desire godliness as well.
--Tyler Looper